Monday, February 26, 2018

Is Rochester safe for children?

Marnie here -again. We took a photography trip to Maplewood Park in Rochester, NY today as I thought the bricks would make very nice HDR images. The problem is that while we were there it turned into more of a political statement for me. The location is right next to a Safety & Training center, a playground, and the Veterans memorial bridge. So I have to ask: Why is it one of the most unsafe parks I have ever seen? I'm glad we didn't bring our dog as I wouldn't have wanted him to be exposed to the unsafe conditions. If I don't think it is safe enough for my dog, why would any parent bring their children to this playground? And why hasn't the City of Rochester kept this park clean and safe?

I will say that it is Feb 26th so maybe the parks will be better cared for once summer comes, but this still isn't acceptable to me.

The first thing I noticed was a hand rail on the ground instead of up as a railing:
Now of course this partially drives me crazy because at the location is a plaque that says this is dedicated to our Veterans. It seems awfully disrespectful to our Veterans to leave it in this condition.
Maybe you don't care as much about Veterans and respecting them as much as you care about the safety of children? Well there's a nice playground on site also:




And really, you would think this would make it a safe place:



Now mind you I haven't bothered to capture images of the litter and general dity-ness of the park. It's only the end of Feb so I will give you another month to clean it up. I will even let you slide on the railing being on the ground. What I find 100% unacceptable and unsafe is this:

That is within 100 feet of that playground. If you think that distance is safe, look even closer. You can see the playground through the railings:





No comments:

Post a Comment